Sony had their presentation Monday night, but I was feeling too bad to do anything but watch and take notes. Overall, they didn’t show what I most wanted to see, and there wasn’t anything that got me too excited. I had wanted to see a new Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer, Ni No Kuni 2 or The Last of Us 2, though I guess I should be thankful I didn’t see the latter in case of spoilers (I’m still playing the first game).
They showed expansion packs for Uncharted and Horizon Zero Dawn and while I plan on playing both in the future, expansions don’t interest me on their own, unless included in GOTY editions or have a good deal (for instance, I did buy both Witcher 3 expansions, because they were loaded with content). I’m not at all interested in Days Gone. I’ve tried Monster Hunter in the past (MH4U specifically) and it wasn’t really for me, I find it too difficult. Shadow of the Collosus seems to have made a lot of people happy, but I’ve never played it and still don’t think it’s the game for me personally. Marvel vs Capcom Ultimate though? Yes, though it wasn’t “new” as I knew of it already. The only negative I have on the trailer is that it didn’t really show what kind of game it was. There was a single VR game that I wish wasn’t VR; that game was Moss. It was adorable with the mouse warrior! You’d think I would have read Redwall with how I reacted (note to self: read/listen to the Redwall series already). Detroit Become Human looked interesting (I’m a cyberpunk fan), and Marvel Spiderman was a nice surprise.
Now let’s talk Nintendo! This is what I was most excited about and they did not disappoint! I loved EVERYTHING. So let’s get started!
1. Rocket League is coming to Switch, which is awesome though I haven’t played. This fact might make me change my mind though. It will also have exclusive customizations and cross play with other platforms. I can see this being popular for Switch users.
2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 still has British voice actors! I loved that about Xenoblade Chronicles and will definitely be picking this one up. And yay, there are still Nopons!
3. KIRBY! Not until 2018 but still makes me so happy.
4. METROID PRIME 4. Every fan has already heard about it but hooray for the confirmation, I hope we get actual footage in a future direct or next E3!
5. YOSHI! He’s felted this time, in a cardboard diorama world. The crafty geek in me loves this as much as I loved Yoshi’s Wooly World.
6. Fire Emblem Warriors makes me think I really need to start Hyrule Warriors this weekend.
7. I’m not really planning on buying DLCs for Breath of the Wild, but maybe if there’s a sale or something. There’s so much to do without and I’m nowhere near finished so it’s no rush for me.
8. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle has me sold, even if rabbids are annoying. I like everything I’ve seen.
9. Super Mario Odyssey. Does anything need to be said? I NEED a Switch before it comes out, come on Nintendo, make them more available!
These were announced after the Direct, but nevertheless I’m going to buy both. Metroid Samus Returns is a gorgeous 2D Metroid remake of the 2nd game, but more than just a remake. And the Metroid amiibo is perfect, hope I can get my hands on it. The other game is Mario And Luigi Superstar Saga remake + Bowser’s Minions.
Overall, Nintendo did awesome this E3, while the others were sort of lackluster in comparison. The future of gaming is bright and I have WAY too many games to play already but I don’t care. What was your favorite thing about this E3? Did you watch any of the tournaments?
Microsoft started out with revealing the formerly known as Xbox Scorpio, now named Xbox One X. Honestly I’m not fond of that name, but the system is fine. I don’t have an Xbox One yet, so it will probably be the one we buy, though I’m not sure that price is worth it. It will release on November 7th for $499. At least it will enhance graphics of earlier Xbox One titles, but I don’t know if it’ll actually make a noticeable difference if you don’t own a 4K TV?
Moving on to the games, there were a few that struck my fancy.
1. There was Metro Exodus, which takes the series open world. I don’t have either of the previous Metro games, but I’m interested.
2. Deep Rock Galactic had a short trailer, but enough to entice, and it looks like fun.
3. The Minecraft community marketplace is fine I suppose as is the cross platform capability, and the graphic overhaul is nice.
4. The Artful Escape grabbed my attention and I’ll be keeping my eye on it for future trailers/info.
5. Codevein speaks to my love of JRPGs even if it’s on the darker side. It kind of makes me think of Pandora’s Tower on the Wii.
I’m planning on getting Tacoma if reviews come out good, but I’ll be getting the PC version on GOG.
6. Super Lucky’s Tale is a game right up my alley, I will be playing this when I get the chance. I’m a sucker for cute animal and platformer games.
7. Cuphead was on my radar since they first announced it because the art style of old Disney cartoon is just so charming.
8. Ooblets showed up in the ID@Xbox trailer along with these titles I’ll have to learn more about later: Unruly Heroes, Fortnite, Battlerite, Surviving Mars, Robocraft Infinity, Astroneer, Brawlout, Riverbond, Shift.
9. Life is Strange: Before the Storm made me really want to check out Life is Strange. I heard about it of course, but never paid much attention. Definitely worth a look though.
10. And finally, Ori and the Will of the Wisps was stunning. I have yet to pick up Ori and the Blind Forest, but it’s been on my wishlist for awhile and this trailer was achingly beautiful.
That was a LOT more games than I originally thought in my head. So all in all, a good showing. I’m very much looking forward to Sony and Nintendo’s offerings!
As for the PC side of things, very quickly:
1. Battletech looks awesome, and I say that as someone who never played a Mechwarrior or battletech games. My husband’s a huge fan though and after seeing the trailer, I’m totally willing to play it along with him.
2. New Mount and Blade is coming (have yet to play but want to, bought on sale awhile ago). It seems like a fun series, and I love games where you can ride steeds/horses.
3. Tunic looks cute, and I’m hoping it will come to GOG because I’d like to buy it if reviews are good.
4. There were some others, but the one I want most is Wargroove; I love Chucklefish, which you’ll know by my playing Starbound and currently sucked into Stardew Valley. I also really like Advance Wars and Fire Emblem, so I’m going to love this too.
I meant to post this sooner, but unfortunately I got a cold, so after watching E3 stuff I couldn’t finish writing; had to take care of myself. Hopefully I will get my Sony and Nintendo post up by tonight, otherwise, look for it tomorrow. What were your thoughts on the Xbox presentation or PC Gaming Show?